ILL is restricted to current faculty, staff, and students. Law students and faculty should use the Law Library's interlibrary loan service.
Requests for the following will be cancelled:
- Textbooks: Due to limited availability and time restrictions, we will not borrow required textbooks from other libraries.
- Ebooks: Due to license restrictions, ebooks cannot be borrowed through interlibrary loan. If you need a book that is only available electronically, please request it for purchase.
- Multiple chapters from the same book: We will request 1-2 chapters from a book to be scanned. If more than two chapters are requested, we will request the book be borrowed as a loan to comply with copyright law.
- Books owned by the Monroe Library: Books that are currently checked out to other users can be placed on hold, and in some cases recalled. Books that are lost can be requested through ILL.
- Pre-publication electronic articles: these items cannot be borrowed until they have been published. They may be purchased on a case-by-case basis.
- Requests with incomplete or incorrect citations
- There are no overdue fees for late items. However, once an item is late by more than four weeks, your account will be blocked and you will not be able to submit any further requests until the late item is returned.
- Lost or damaged books: Replacement fees are set by the lending library, and can vary.
Turnaround Time and Loan Periods
- Turnaround Time: Average turnaround time during FY 21-22 was 3 days for articles, 17 days for loans.
ILL books can be returned in the book drop if they are not fragile. Otherwise, please return them at the front desk.
- Loan periods and renewal policies are set by the library that has loaned the item. Loan periods are usually between 3-6 weeks from the date they are shipped.
- Renewals: Requests for renewals can be made through ILLiad between 1-7 days before the due date on the book band. If the due date has passed, contact the ILL department directly to request a renewal.
- Rush Requests: We may be able to rush some items. Please email Jessica Perry directly to request an item be rushed.
- Electronically received articles and book chapters will be available to view in your ILLiad account for 60 days after being received. You may download PDFs to your personal device for your continued scholarly use.
In-Library Use Only Items
When an item is rare or fragile, the lending library will sometimes stipulate that the item must only be used in the library. These items can be checked out from the front desk with a valid Loyola ID. Your ID will be held at the front desk until the item is returned. The books will remain at the front desk until the due date or until you tell the staff person that you no longer need the item.