Collections & Exhibits Online
Digitized materials from Loyola University New Orleans’ Special Collections and Archives are available in the LOUISiana Digital Library and the Internet Archive’s American Libraries LYRASIS collection.
The Field Research Archive of Frère Joseph Cornet was established at Loyola University New Orleans when Fr. Cornet gave his field notebooks to the University between 1998 and 2001. The remainder of his collected papers and scholarly research was bequeathed to Loyola following his death in 2004. The archive is the result of Fr. Cornet's 28 year residency in the Congo which began with a teaching appointment at the Académie des Beaux-Arts in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1964. He also lectured at Lovanium University of Kinshasa. Fr. Cornet was appointed director général adjoint of the Institut des Musées Nationaux du Congo (IMNC) when it was founded in 1970 and was appointed the museum's directeur général in 1975. This collection is only viewable within Special Collections & Archives, Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The electronic theses collection consists of theses from Loyola graduate and undergraduate students dating back to 1958. Some items are restricted for use to on-campus Loyola users.
The papers of Joseph H. Fichter, S.J., document the life of a priest, scholar, and social reformer. As a pioneer in the sociology of religion and as a champion of social justice, Father Fichter has frequently found himself embroiled in controversy and conflict. That vigorous engagement with his times is reflected in these papers, which shed light upon the Catholic Church, the Society of Jesus, academic sociology, and the quest for social reform. These audiotapes contain interviews conducted by Fr. Fichter including those related to his research on Alcoholic Clergy. This collection is only viewable within Special Collections & Archives, Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Published in 1828, Johann Gottlieb Mann's Deutschlands wildwachsende Arzney-Pflanzen (Germany's Wild Medicinal Plants) contains hand-colored lithographs of medical plants, flowers, and fruits.
John Gould, a British zoologist active throughout the mid-19th century, is known chiefly for the over 3000 hand colored lithographs he produced throughout his career. The first volume of one of his most successful publications, The Birds of Great Britain, can be found in Special Collections & Archives at Loyola's Monroe Library.
Lafcadio Hearn was a writer during the closing decades of the nineteenth century and the opening years of the twentieth. The Lafcadio Hearn Collection at Loyola University New Orleans consists primarily of letters written by Hearn to Page Baker, editor of the Times-Democrat when Hearn worked for that newspaper. Hearn wrote Baker from various places--New Orleans, the West Indies, and Japan. In these letters, Hearn touched on many subjects, including his work at the Times-Democrat, his literary efforts, and his travels.
The following scrapbook is a record of the men who served in the Society of Jesus, and the churches, schools and institutions they established in the South. The photographs in this scrapbook include numerous portrait photographs of the Jesuits working in the South, group photographs of Jesuit Communities, and major houses such as the College of the Immaculate Conception in New Orleans and St. Charles College in Grand Coteau, La.
This is an artificial collection consisting of Loyola University New Orleans ephemera created to promote and support sport teams at Loyola University between the years of 1908 – 1992. Archery, basketball, baseball, boxing, football, golf, soccer, and tennis are represented as well as Hall of Fame awards and items detailing the discontinuation of intercollegiate sports in 1972. Films from the Loyola University Athletics Collection were digitized by the Center for Louisiana Studies at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette thanks to generous donations from John Erb and Charles Young.
The Loyola Bulletins act as course catalogs for the university. Bulletins for 1855-56 through 1876-77 are for Jesuits' College. The name of the school changed to College of the Immaculate Conception in latter year. Bulletins for early 1910s through early 1920s are for high school and grammar school departments. Loyola College was the next forerunner of Loyola University. After Loyola University was formed, the college was a grammar and high school. The general bulletins continued to be published to the present day. Individual colleges and schools within Loyola published bulletins as well. Loyola’s bulletins were digitized by the LYRASIS Mass Digitization Collaborative with funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Note: Monroe Library's Special Collections & Archives does not have copies of the School of Dentistry's earliest bulletins, but 1914-1923 have been digitized by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and are also available in the Internet Archive.
In conjunction with the 2015-2016 FYE Common Experience Program, members of the Loyola community were invited to donate digital files including photographs, posters, written stories, and other items related to the Loyola community's experience during Hurricane Katrina, Loyola's role in rebuilding New Orleans, and the broader roles communities play in defining and transforming society.
This collection documents the history of libraries and library staff at Loyola University New Orleans. At this time the collection is comprised of Library Newsletters from 1983-2009 from the University Periodicals Collection. Additional digitized archival resources related to the history of Loyola's libraries are available in the University Photographs Collection, the Maroon newspaper, the Wolf Yearbook, and the Bulletins.
The Maroon, the student newspaper of Loyola University New Orleans, has been published since 1923. The Maroon covers student life, campus activities, cultural and athletic events, Loyola University New Orleans administration, faculty and staff, and other features.
This collection is comprised of photographs dating back to the early 20th century from Loyola's University Archives. Early photographs include some taken by famed New Orleans photographer E.J. Bellocq. Since 1949, the university has employed an official photographer. While a large part of the photographs in the collection come from these university employees, many photographs in the collection are unidentified. When the photographer is known, photos will be credited to that person. Unidentified photos will be credited to the university.
This collection showcases scrapbooks from various manuscript and archival collections in Loyola University's Special Collections & Archives.
This is a small representation of the many photographs, manuscripts, and other materials found in the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library's Special Collections & Archives.
The Wolf, the yearbook of Loyola University, has been published since 1924. The yearbooks contain invaluable information about student life, classes, and faculty. The Wolf Yearbooks were digitized by the LYRASIS Mass Digitization Collaborative with funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
The New Orleans Opera Association Archives documents the business operations of the NOOA, one of the oldest continually performing opera companies in the country, from its inception in 1943 to 2015. Board minutes, budgets, personnel files, promotional materials, and media documenting both performances and outreach efforts by the NOOA are just some of the facets of this collection. The digital collection includes programs from NOOA performances.
The following timeline was created by music major and Special Collections & Archives intern Gloria Cosenza in conjunction with the Fall 2016 exhibit, "Encore! Encore! Bravi! Presenting the New Orleans Opera Association Archives."
New Orleans Review, a journal of contemporary literature and culture, is a publication of the Department of English at Loyola University New Orleans. Since its founding in 1968, the journal has published an eclectic variety of work by established and emerging writers. Work published in the New Orleans Review has been reprinted in the Pushcart Prize, Best American Nonrequired Reading, New Stories From the South, Utne Reader, Poetry Daily, Verse Daily, and O. Henry Prize Stories anthologies. This digital collections contains issues of the Review digitized by students in the Editing & Publishing/New Orleans Review Internship class at Loyola University.
The Anthony J. Stanonis Collection is comprised of materials relating to the New Orleans tourist industry. Dating from 1902 to 1960, the guides, maps, brochures, books, and other literature document public and private tourism businesses. Anthony J. Stanonis gathered the materials during his research on the cultural and economic implications of urban tourism.
In 1984, WYES, New Orleans' public television station, began broadcasting Informed Sources, a program devoted to in-depth discussion of the news by local journalists. The Informed Sources digital collection consists of mp4s, originally recorded in both VHS and Betacam formats.