As strange as it may sound, at one time a plan was afoot to move Loyola’s campus away from St. Charles Avenue to the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, in Kenner, Louisiana.
Recognizing the limitations of Loyola’s relatively small campus, the Very Rev. Patrick Donnelly, President of Loyola from 1952 to 1961, sought room for the growing university to expand and found it in the then undeveloped area near the airport and the future interstate highway. Despite the merits of additional space, the value and charms of Uptown New Orleans prevailed, and the plan to make Loyola a suburban campus was abandoned in 1960.
Although the university would not be moving, J. Edgar Monroe still granted the Kenner tract to Loyola, as this page from the 1961 Wolf demonstrates.
Found in the Archives is a recurring series of crazy cool stuff found in the Monroe Library’s Special Collections & Archives.