Archive for October, 2012

Loyola Football, Undefeated Since 1939

1933 Loyola Football Program

Drew Brees had a historic night against the Chargers yesterday as he surpassed Johnny Unitas’ record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass thrown. What may come as a surprise is that Loyola’s football team was also once known for its record-breaking abilities.

The 1926 Loyola football team, coached by Eddie Reed, went undefeated. William Elton “Bucky” Moore was not only Loyola’s leading rusher that year, but his 1,131 rushing yards in eight games was the finest individual performance in college football nationwide.

Despite their record-breaking years, Loyola’s football program was discontinued in 1939 due to an annual deficit of approximately $20,000.

Loyola’s athletics history is full of surprises. For more stories, head to the Living Room on the first floor of the Monroe Library to see the Centennial Athletics Exhibit.

Found in the Archives is a recurring series of crazy cool stuff found in the Monroe Library’s Special Collections & Archives.

The Weekly Picayune

This week New Orleans became a city without a daily newspaper when The Times Picayune became a thrice-weekly publication.

Historically there have been a large variety of newspapers in New Orleans, including The Weekly Picayune. Published every Monday, the paper was a mix of local, national and international news, and may have been akin to the Sunday newspaper of today as it was about twice as long as the editions printed daily.











Special Collections & Archives houses issues of The Weekly Picayune for the year 1841-1842. A look at the publication one hundred and seventy one years ago this week reveals much information on the city, from local currency exchange to information on arriving ships. The reported deaths reveal that Yellow Fever was present and still claiming victims in the city.
















And of course there is always room for levity with a good ol’ fashioned Whig joke.

Found in the Archives: The Old Gymnasium

Did you know that before the University Sports Complex, even before the infamous Loyola Field House, Loyola had a tiny little gym located at the very northern edge of a huge football field? This land is now mostly the residential quad, but you can see the field and the old gym in this aerial photograph from 1925.

Loyola University Campus - 1925

Loyola University Campus - 1925

This little clapboard structure served as Loyola’s Gymnasium for over 30 years. Here it is just as construction was finishing and again before it was demolished to make way for the Loyola Field House.

Loyola Gymnasium

Loyola Gymnasium

Flip through some more historic campus images found in the 1924 Wolf Yearbook!

Found in the Archives is a recurring series of crazy cool stuff found in the Monroe Library’s Special Collections & Archives.

Thirty years ago today…

The Loyola University Maroon Digital Collection currently includes issues from the years 1971-73, 1982-83, 1992-93, and 2002-03. The remainder of the Maroons are being prepared for digitization by Backstage Library Works and should be available for viewing in the Louisiana Digital Library in the spring. Until then, enjoy this issue of the Maroon, printed thirty years ago today. Not much has changed–front page stories concerned alcohol abuse by New Orleans college students and revised course evaluations. But hidden on page 10 is a job advertisement that I don’t think you’d see in the Maroon today….